Wright County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Wright County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Wright County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|Address|| Wright County Courthouse|
10 2nd Street NW
Buffalo, Mn 55313
Wright County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Wright County, Minnesota Record Dates
License Bureau has birth and death records from 1871
and marriage records from 1866.
Court Administrator has divorce and court records from 1870 and probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
- 1855--Wright County was created 20 February 1855 from Cass and Sibley Counties. County seat: Buffalo 
- For a brief history of how Wright County was named, click here, then select Wright County.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Wright – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Wright County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Hoar, Alfred Wyman. Lineage and family records of Alfred Wyman Hoar and his wife Josephine Jackson with notes on the early history of Wright County, Minnesota. Eagle Print. Co., 1898. Digital version at Internet Archive.
Civil War service men from Wright County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Wright County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company D.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 8th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company E.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company B.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company E.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Wright County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Wright County Historical Society
2001 Highway 25 N
Buffalo MN 55313-3303
Cokato Finnish-American Society
10783 County Road 3 SW
Cokato MN 55321-4408
Cokato Historical Society
Museum & Library
PO Box 686
175 4th St West
Rockford Area Historical Society
PO Box 186
Rockford MN 55373-0186
- St. Michael, Wright, Minnesota - Access website of the St. Michael Historical Society for databases of the St. Michael area and other genealogical research tools.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wright County, Minnesota page 370, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).