Yeovil, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Yeovil, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Yeovil|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
YEOVIL (St. John the Baptist), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Stone, W. division of Somerset, 9½ miles (S. S. E.) from Somerton, and 122 (W. S. W.) from London. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans, and Unitarians.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Yeovil St John parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|YEOVIL ST JOHN PARISH Online Records|
Yeovil Holy Trinity parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|YEOVIL HOLY TRINITY PARISH Online Records|
Yeovil South Street Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Yeovil South Street Chapel Online Records|
Yeovil Vicarage Street chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Yeovil Vicarage Street Chapel Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed: 09 April 2013.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 3 February 2014.
- 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.