Yolo County, California Genealogy
|Yolo County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1850|
|Address|| Yolo County Courthouse|
625 Court Street
PO Box 1130 zip code 95776
Woodland, CA 95695
Yolo County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Bible Records
- 7 Biography
- 8 Cemeteries
- 9 Census
- 10 Church History and Records
- 11 Court Records
- 12 Crime and Criminals
- 13 Directories
- 14 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 15 Gazetteers
- 16 Genealogy
- 17 History
- 18 Land and Property
- 19 Maps
- 20 Migration
- 21 Military History and Records
- 22 Newspapers
- 23 Obituaries
- 24 Periodicals
- 25 Probate Records
- 26 Repositories
- 27 Societies
- 28 Taxation
- 29 Vital Records
- 30 Voting Registers
- 31 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 32 Web Sites
- 33 References
Yolo County, California Record Dates
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death and land records
divorce, probate and court records from 1850
18 February 1850: Yolo County was created as an original county. County seat: Woodland 
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Brooks | Capay | Clarksburg | Davis | Dunnigan | El Macero | Esparto | Green | Guinda | West Sacramento | Winters | Woodland | Yolo |
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See California Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Yolo County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Yolo County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Yolo County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Yolo - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Yolo County, California Obituary and Death Notice Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. Obits and death notices from Various Funeral Homes in the Davis, Woodland, West Sacramento, Winter, Dunnigan, Zamora, and Clarksburg areas.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Yolo County Historical Society
P.O. Box 1447
Woodland, CA 95776
Davis Genealogical Club
c/o The Davis Senior Center
646 – A Street
Davis, CA 95616-3602
Davis Historical Society
c/o Dennis Dingemans,
645 "C" Street
Davis, CA 95616
Friends of Yolo County Archives
226 Buckeye Street
Woodland, CA 95695-2600
Yolo County African American Heritage Association
PO Box 1749
Woodland, CA 95776-1749
West Sacramento Historical Society
324 Third Street
W. Sacramento, CA 95691
- Yolo County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Yolo County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Yolo County, California. Page 88At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).