Askham Bryan, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Askham Bryan, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Askham Bryan, Yorkshire|
|Poor Law Union||Barwick Gilbert Union|
|Parish registers: 1695|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604|
|Rural Deanery||City of York and Ainsty|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Askham Bryan|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
ASKHAM-BRYAN, or Great Askham (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the Ainsty wapentake, West Riding, Yorkshire, located 4 miles (W. S. W.) from York; containing 342 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Records from York Registration District held at York are included in the online index available at Yorkshire BMD for post 1837 events; view the coverage table to check progress on the availability of index search.
- Church of England marriages.
- Civil Marriages at register offices, or non-conformist churches where a registrar was required to be present at the ceremony.
- Authorised Person marriages. These cover the non-conformist places of worship which applied to keep their own registers as a result of the Marriage Act, 1898 (bringing them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had this status since 1837). In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar. Earlier weddings in these places would be included with civil marriage registers.
A secondary index of Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these . There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD however this secondary index may omit the event and may not contain the detail of the Yorkshire BMD index
Online data content from chapelry registers of Askham-Bryan exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP= findmypast - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ASKHAM-BRYAN PARISH (1604) Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464295.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 96-100. Date accessed: 13 December 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'Yorkshire Parish Records - Parish List,' findmypast, accessed 15 October 2014.
- 'Yorkshire West Riding,' FreeREG, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'National Burial Index - Yorkshire (City and Ainsty) Coverage,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 16 October 2014.