Zanesville is the county seat for Muskingum County. Zanesville served as the temporary capitol of Ohio from 1810 to 1812.Founded in 1801 by Colonel Ebenezer Zane, Zanesville became a hub of activity with the use of Zane's Trace, a frontier road and Zane's ferry. 
The unique Y shaped bridge that spans the merging of the Licking and Muskingum Rivers gives Zanesville very distinctive look to the pilot in Ohio airways. Referring to it's navigational usefulness, Amelia Earhart called Zanesville "the most recognizable city in the country". 
Family History Resources
- The Times Recorder newspaper contained a column for African American residents, which began as early as June, 1923. Colored Citizens News can be found as late as August, 1948, and can be accessed online by those with an individual Ancesty.com account, or offline by obtaining a microfilm copy.
Trails.com has Ohio State USGS topo maps that will give you coordinates to Muskingum Cemeteries.
Historical and Genealogical Societies
The Muskingum County Chapter O.G.S. is located on the second floor of the John McIntire Library, 220 North Fifth Street, Zanesville, Ohio 43801.
- Muskingum County GenWeb Project - Historical Newspapers has a helpful selection of user submitted newspapers from the 1800's to use for free.
- Zanesville Daily Courier Ancestry.com $
- Zanesville Signal Ancestry.com $
- Zanesville Times Record Ancestry.com $
- Zanesville Times Signal Ancestry.com $
- The Zanesville Times Recorder
- 34 S. Fourth St.
- Zanesville, OH 43701
- Phone: 740.452.4561
- Coshocton Tribune
- 550 Main Street
- Coshocton, OH 43812
- Phone: 740.622.1122
- Online obituaries since 27 Dec 2001
Histories, Biographies, And Genealogies
- Familytree101 gives links to helps with History, Records and facts about Muskingum County.
- Zanesville Gedcoms has Gedcoms to download about various families.
John McIntire Library is the Main Library for the Muskingum County Library System.
- John McIntire Library
- 220 North Fifth Street
- Zanesville, Ohio 43701
- Phone: 740.453.0391
- Genealogy Department ext. 139