Åseral, Vest-Agder, Norway Genealogy
=== Church Records === Åseral church records contain priest and sexton records for Åseral parish in Åseral clerical district. Åseral parish was separated from Bjelland clerical district in 1858. Microfilms for 1727-1919 are available at the Family History Library. Digital images are online at Digitalarkivet. Åseral: 1815-1911 Åseral / Åseral: 1900-1919 Bjelland: 1727-1792 Bjelland / Åseral: 1793-1815
- 1664-1666: Sogneprestenes manntall 1664-1666 Bjelland clerical district This census was taken by the local parish priests. It lists the name of the farms, names of farm owners (including widows), the sons of the farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and their sons, and the ages of each person. There was another census taken by the civil authorities at this same time. Both censuses should be searched as they supplement each other. This clerical census is more complete. Original manuscript on microfilm.
- 1664-1666: Fogdernes og sorenskrivernes manntall 1664-1666 Åseral clerical district This census was taken by the local civil authorities. It lists the names of the farms, farmowners (including widows), sons of farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and sons of cottagers and the age of each person. The clerical authorities took a census during this same time period. Both censuses should be used as they supplement each other. The clerical census is more complete. Original manuscript on microfilm. *1663-1666: Manntall 1663-66 for Lister prosti II Database at Digitalarkivet.
- 1801: Folketelling 1 Feb 1801, Norge Åseral clerical district the 1801 census (b. 33) for Åseral clerical district includes Åseral parish. It lists the farm name, person's name, position in the household, age, marital status, and occupation. Original manuscript on microfilm. *1801: 1801-telling for 1024 Bielland Database at Digitalarkivet.
- 1865: Folketælling 31 December 1865 Åseral Clerical District This census contains the persons name, residence, status in the family, occupation, sex, martial status, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information. Each book usually contains one clerical district (prestegjeld). In some books there are two clerical districts recorded. The parishes and school districts in each clerical district are listed at the beginning of each book. Original manuscript on microfilm. *1865: 1865-telling for 0980 Aaseral Database at Digitalarkivet.
- 1875: Folketælling for kongeriget Norge den 31te December 1875 Åseral Clerical District This 1875 census contains the persons name, residence, position in the family, occupation, sex, marital status, year of birth, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information. Original manuscript on microfilm.
- 1900: Folketælling for Norge, 3 Dec 1900 https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog-search-api%3A8080%2Fwww-catalogapi-webservice%2Fitem%2F383757 Åseral Clerical District This census contains the persons name, sex, resident or temporary resident, temporarily absent and where person is, position in the family, marital status, occupation, year of birth, place of birth, citizenship, religion, and other miscellaneous information. Original manuscript on microfilm.
- 1900: 1900-telling for 1026 Aaseral Database at Digitalarkivet.
- 1910: Folketellingen 1910 Database at Digitalarkivet.
Liestøl, Tarjei, Eiken, Torleif, Åseral gard og ætt, Åseral. 1976-1987. A genealogy of the people and a history of the farms they lived on in Åseral in Vest-Agder county, Norway. FHL 948.29/A1 D2l A farm name index to volume 2 is found in the following link. File:948.29-A1 D2l Vol.2 - ASERAL 2.pdf
|The farm name index referenced above includes many more names than the list below.|
=== Farm Names === The farm number and name of the farms listed in Oluf Rygh Farm Name Index in about 1900 were as follows:
13 Aakernes 37 Aamland 1 Aaseland 4 Austrhus 9 Bortelien 6 Bredland 44 Bydalen 24 Eikemoen 30 Eikerapen 19 Ekill 42 Eksaa 10 Espelien 27 Fiskland 43 Flystveit 2 Forgaard 33 Haavaarstad 15 Haavestøl 16 Hamkoll 41 Handeland 8 Helleren 23 Horne 36 Kittelsdal 32 Kylland 7 Larsstuen 35 Linjord 21 Listøl 7 Ljosland 41 Lundemyren 28 Madland 34 Mjaaland 40 Nesland 12 Nordgaarden 17 Reiarsdalen 22 Rosseland 20 Røidland 18 Røinelien 5 Røiseland 7 Skothommen 25 Smedland 41 Stien 9 Tjaldal 26 Torsland 38 Tveit 5 Tveitan 14 Tveitstøl 3 Under Berget med Skjerkestøl 31 Vasbotnen 39 Vormelien 29 Øiuvstad 11 Østergaarden
Mandal judicial district
=== References === Oluf Rygh: Norwegian Farm Names