10th Battalion, Virginia Heavy Artillery (Allen's) (Confederate)
AKA Allen's Battalion Organized April 14, 1862 at Richmond, Virginia with five companies. Surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865 with 103 officers and men. The unit served in the Department of Richmond until 1865 when it was transferred as infantry to the Army of Northern Virginia. It was involved in the Richmond defenses at Brook's Turnpike and at Drewry's Bluff. Majors William Allen and James 0. Hensley were in command.
Field and Staff
- Originally called the Brandon Light Artillery. It completed its organization in May 1861 and became Company E of the 1st Regiment Virginia Artillery. It was detached in December and assigned to J. R. C. Lewis' Battalion, a temporary field command. Later the unit became Company D, 10th Battalion Virginia Heavy Artillery and was then known as the Jamestown Heavy Artillery.
- Its commander was Captain William Allen.