10th Battalion, Virginia Heavy Artillery (Allen's) (Confederate)
The 10th Battalion, Virginia Heavy Artillery, also known as Allen's Battalion, was organized April 14, 1862 at Richmond, Virginia with five companies. It surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865. The unit served in the Department of Richmond until 1865 when it was transferred as infantry to the Army of Northern Virginia. It was involved in the Richmond defenses at Brook's Turnpike and at Drewry's Bluff. Majors William Allen and James 0. Hensley were in command.
Company A (Metropolitan Guards) - many men from Richmond, Virginia
Company B (Captain James O. Hensley's Company)
Company C (Allen Artillery)
Company D (Jamestown Heavy Artillery) (Reorganization of Company E, 1st Regiment Virginia Artillery)
The information above is from 10th and 19th Battalions of Heavy Artillery, by Jeffrey C. Weaver.
Field and Staff
- Originally called the Brandon Light Artillery.