10th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (1st Cavalry Regiment, Wise Legion) (Confederate)
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 01:59, 19 January 2011 by Ccsmith
- Organized in May, 1862.
- The unit served in Hampton's, W. H. F. Lee's, Chambliss', and Beale's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia.
- After fighting in the Seven Days' Battles, it saw action at Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Brandy Station, Upperville, Gettysburg, Bristoe, and Mine Run. The regiment was involved in The Wilderness Campaign, the defense of Richmond and Petersburg, and the Appomattox operations.
- It took 236 effectives to Gettysburg and surrendered with 3 officers and 19 men.
- Commanders: Colonels Robert A. Caskie, William B. Clement, and J. Lucius Davis; Lieutenant Colonel Zachariah S. McGruder; and Major J. Travis Rosser.
- Formerly called 1st Cavalry Regiment, Wise Legion, and 8th Battalion
- Many of the men were from Richmond and Albermarle, Rockingham, and Henrico counties.