10th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)
This Unit was formed in ... Companies recruited men from Augusta, Amherst, Caroline, Culpeper, Cumberland, Fairfax, Fauquier, Orange, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and King George counties. Field officers at Valley Forge were Colonel John Green, Colonel Edward Stevens, Lt. Colonel Lewis Willis, and Major Samuel Hawes.
- 1776-1778 - Colonel Edward Stevens in command 12 Nov 1776 to 31 Jan 1778
- 1778-1778 - Colonel John Green in command 26 Jan 1778 to 14 Sep 1778
- 1778-1781 - Colonel William Davies in command 14 Sep 1778 to 12 Feb 1781
- Company - Captain Thomas Blackwell
- Company - Captain Clough Shelton
- Company - Captain John Gillison
- Company - Captain David Laird
- Company - Captain John Mountjoy
- Company - Captain John Spotswood
- Company - Captain Richard Stevens
- Company - Captain Thomas West
- The information above is from 10th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-9
- Lt. Colonel Samuel Hopkins of Albemarle County, captured at Charleston, S.C.
- "10th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va10.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- F.B. Heitman, Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution, April, 1775, to December, 1783 (Washington, D.C.: W.H. Lowdermilk and Co., 1893), 53. Digitized by Internet Archive.
- "Samuel Shelton was settled in the county from the beginning. In 1745 he purchased five hundred and fifty acres ... Samuel Shelton died in 1793. His wife's name was Judith, and his children were Clough, Joseph, Samuel, David, Elizabeth the wife of John Tindall, and the wife of John Lewis, who lived near Scott's Landing. Clough was a Captain in the Revolutionary army, and was taken prisoner at the surrender of Charleston. He died about 1833. His children were Nelson, Maria, the wife of Robert Anderson, Cicely, the wife of a Walker, and William A." See Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 313.
- Joseph A. Waddell, Annals of Augusta County, Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Wm. Ellis Jones, Book and Job Printer, 1886), 159.
- Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 229, 367-368.