110th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 110th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Anna, Illinois, and mustered in September 11, 1862. They march to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19 and Grand Review May 24. It mustered out June 5 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, June 15, 1865..
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 110th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 110th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 20 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Franklin County - Franklin County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 95.
- Company B - many men from Jefferson County - Jefferson County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 96.
- Company C - many men from Williamson County - Williamson County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 98.
- Company D - many men from Washington County - Washington County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 99.
- Company E - many men from Saline County - Saline County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 101.
- Company F - many men from Franklin County - Franklin County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 102.
- Company G - many men from Jefferson and Wayne counties - Jefferson and Wayne county web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 104.
- Company H - many men from Perry County - Perry County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 105.
- Company I - many men from Franklin County - Franklin County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 106.
- Company K - many men from Hamilton and Franklin counties - Hamilton and Franklin county web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 108.
110th (Consolidated) Infantry Roster starts on page 114.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 110th Regiment(accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).