114th Regiment, New York Infantry
The 114th Regiment was organized at Norwich, Chenango, New York, and mustered in September 3, 1862. The regiment was mustered out under Col. Per Lee, June 8, 1865 at Bladensburg, Maryland. The veterans and recruits were transferred to the 90th New York Infantry. The soldiers were discharged at Elmira, Chemung, New York, June 17, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 114th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 114th Infantry Regiment and for the 7th Regiment of Artillery.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 114th New York Infantry Regiment in the war and the 7th Regiment of Artillery.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865, Albany, N.Y. : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- Beecher, Harris H. Record of the 114th Regiment, N.Y.S.V. : Where it Went, What it Saw, and What it Did, Norwich, N.Y. : J. F. Hubbard, Jr., 1866. Google Books, Internet Archives, FHL film 812928, Item 1 and Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083802
- Pellet, Elias P.History of the 114th Regiment, New York State Volunteers : containing a perfect record of its services, embracing all its marches, campaigns, battles, sieges and sea-voyages with a biographical sketch of each officer, and a complete register of the regiment. (Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, 1970) FHL Film 812927 Item 2
- Curtis, Oscar H. Proceedings of the twenty-sixth annual reunion of the 114th N. Y. Regimental Association : and dedicatory services at Winchester, Va., October 19, 1898, with a roster of the surviving members of the 114th Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083803
- 114th New York State Volunteer Infantry, A Regimental Archive is a page dedicated to the 114th Regiment, NY Infantry.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY114.php (accessed 8 December 2010)