124th Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry
This regiment was organized at Harrisburg PA. August, 1862.It was stationed at various places. It was finally ordered back to Harrisburg, Pa., and it mustered out May 16, 1863.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 124th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 2 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Green, Robert M. History of the One hundred and twenty-fourth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers in the War of the Rebellion 1862-1863 : regimental re-unions 1885-1906 : history of monument. (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1987) FHL Film 1550245 and(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Film 6084077
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).