128th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Organized at Michigan City, Indiana, December 15, 1863, to March 7, 1864. At surrender of Johnston and his army. Duty at Goldsboro and Raleigh till April, 1866. Mustered out April 10, 1866.
- Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Benton, Jefferson and Newton Counties - see Roster on page 254
- Company B - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 256
- Company C - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 257
- Company D - many men from St. Joseph County - see Roster on page 259
- Company E - many men from Porter County - see Roster on page 261
- Company F- many men from White and Harrison Counties - see Roster on page 263
- Company G - many men from Cass, Fulton, and Kosciusko Counties - see Roster on page 265
- Company H - many men from Cass, Porter, La Porte, and Bartholomew Counties - see Roster on page 266
- Company I - many men from La Porte and Marshall Counties - see Roster on page 268
- Company K - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 270
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 271
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 128th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 128th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 128th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Company "D", 128th Infantry was principally made up from St Joseph counties. On page 727 on this book, give person from St. Joseph Country only. Howard, Timothy Edward, A History of St. Joseph County, Indiana (Chicago, Illinois : Lewis Publishing Company, 1907 ) FHL US/CAN Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2 Google Book FHL 1550208 Other libraries with this book
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).