13th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (12th Months, 1861-62) (Confederate)
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:36, 2 January 2011 by Randlepandle (Created page with '===Brief History=== *Formed in July 1862, using the 16th Battalion Virginia Cavalry as its nucleus. *It was assigned to W, H. F. Lee's, Chambliss', and Beale's Brigade in the A…')
- Formed in July 1862, using the 16th Battalion Virginia Cavalry as its nucleus.
- It was assigned to W, H. F. Lee's, Chambliss', and Beale's Brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia. The unit was active in, the conflicts at Fredericksburg, Brandy Station, Upperville, Hanover, Gettysburg, Bristoe, Kelly's Ford, and Mine Run.
- Later it participated in The Wilderness Campaign, the defense of Petersburg and Richmond, and the Appomattox operations.
- This regiment had 298 men in action at Gettysburg and surrendered on April 9, 1865, with 10 officers and 78 men.
- Field officers: Colonels John R. Chambliss, Jr. and Jefferson C. Phillips; Lieutenant Colonels Alexander Savage and Thomas E. Upshaw; and Majors Benjamin W. Belsches, Joseph E. Gillette, and Benjamin F. Winfield.
- The men were from Petersburg and the counties of Southampton, Sussex, Prince George, Surry, and Nansemond.