13th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)
The 13th Regiment was formed in February 1777 at Fort Pitt. Companies recruited men from <a href="Yohogania County, Virginia">Yohogania</a>, <a href="Monongalia County, West Virginia">Monongalia</a> and <a href="West Augusta District, Virginia">West Augusta</a> (now <a href="Ohio County, West Virginia">Ohio</a> County) counties. Field officers at Valley Forge were Colonel William Russell, Colonel George Gibson, Lt. Colonel Richard Campbell, and Major Richard Taylor."13th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va13.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- 1776-1778 - Colonel William Russell in command 19 Dec 1776 to 14 Sep 1778
- 1st Company - Captain Robert Beall - many men from Yohogania County
- 2nd Company - Captain Benjamin Harrison - many men from Yohogania County
- 3rd Company - Captain George McCormick - many men from West Augusta District
- 4th Company - Captain David Steel(e) - many men from Yohogania County
- 5th Company - Captain James Sullivan - many men from West Augusta District
- 6th Company - Captain John Lemen - many men from West Augusta District
- 7th Company - Captain James Hook(e) - many men from Yohogania County
- 8th Company - Captain James Neal - many men from Monongalia County
- 9th Company - Captain Silas Zane - many men from West Augusta District
- 10th Company - Captain David Scott - many men from Monongalia County
- Ensign John Hargis of Albemarle County
- Captain James Sullivan
- Captain Thomas Wills
- F.B. Heitman, Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution, April, 1775, to December, 1783 (Washington, D.C.: W.H. Lowdermilk and Co., 1893), 54. Digitized by Internet Archive.
- E.M. Sanchez-Saavedra, A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations in the American Revolution, 1774-1787 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1978), 69. FHL Book 975.5 M2s; 13th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.
- Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 367-368.
- 13th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.