14th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:44, 2 January 2011 by Randlepandle (Created page with '=== Brief History === *Organized in September 1862, with nine companies, some of which had previously served in Jackson's Squadron Virginia Cavalry. *The unit was attached to J…')
- Organized in September 1862, with nine companies, some of which had previously served in Jackson's Squadron Virginia Cavalry.
- The unit was attached to Jenkins', Echols', and McCausland's Brigade.
- It skirmished in western Virginia, then saw action at Droop Mountain and Lewisburg.
- During January 1864, it had 29 officers and 424 men present for duty.
- The 14th continued the fight in Western Virginia, took part in the operations in the Shenandoah Valley, and disbanded in April 1865.
- Field officers: Colonels James Cochran and Charles E. Thorburn, Lieutenant Colonels Robert A. Bailey and John A. Gibson, and Majors B. Frank Eakle and George Jackson.
- The tenth company was made up of surplus men of the other companies.