17th Regiment, New York Infantry
The 17th Regiment, New York Infantry, was organized at New York City and mustered in for two years' service May 28, 1861. The regiment mustered out June 2, 1863. Men who signed up for three years transferred to the 146th Infantry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 17th Regiment Infantry "Westchester Chasseurs", (accessed 2 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However, if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A – Principally recruited in Westchester County.
Company B – Principally recruited in Westchester County.
Company C – Principally recruited in the Bronx County.
Company D – Principally recruited in New York City.
Company E – Principally recruited in New York City.
Company F – Principally recruited in Westchester County.
Company G – Principally recruited in Rockland County.
Second Company G – Principally recruited in New York City.
Company H – Principally recruited in Chenango County.
Company I – Principally recruited in Wayne County.
Company K – Principally recruited in Wyoming County.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Dearing, Gilbert H. Chronological history of the 17th Regiment of N.Y. Infantry Volunteers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992)FHL Fiche 6083684
- Dudley, Harwood A. History of Company "K" of the 17th Regiment, N.Y.V. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083685
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY.php
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/civil_index.htm citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,
- Westervelt, William B. Lights and shadows of army life : as seen by a private soldier. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083686
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center, 146th Infantry Regiment, Civil War, Halleck Infantry; Fifth Oneida; Garrard's Tigers, (accessed 17 November 2011).