19th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 19th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was formed withFour Chicago Companies mustered into State service at Camp Yates May 4, 1861. Regiment organized at Chicago, Illinois, and mustered in June 17, 1861.
Moved to Chicago June 8-17. Mustered out July 9, 1864; expiration of term..
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Cook County (Chicago Zouaves) - Cook County web site -
- Company B - many men from Stark County - Stark County web site -
- Company C - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site -
- Company D - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site -
- Company G - many men from Cook County (Bridges' Battery) - Cook County web site -
- Company I - many men from Jo Daviess County - Jo Daviess County web site -
- Company K - many men from Cook County (Chicago Zouaves) - Cook County web site -
- Unassigned Recruits -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 19th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).