1st Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery
The 1st Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery mustered in on August 6, 1861. It was organized at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio. They were mustered out June 26, 1865 at Washington, District of Columbia.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 1st Ohio Independent Battery
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Independent Battery Light Artillery. (accessed 23 August 2012).
Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company or battery recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- 1st Ohio Independent Battery Light Artillery, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lowery, Roland. The story of Battery I, First Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, 1861-1865. (Cincinnati, Ohio : R. Lowery, c1972), FHL book 977.1 M2Lr
- Frey, Samuel Cordell. Battered destinies : story of Battery D, Civil War, 1861-1865. (Pasadena, Texas : Infotrans Press, c1996), FHL book 977.1 M2
- Mohr, Julian. A magnificent Irishman from Appalachia : the letters of Lt. James Gildea, First Ohio Light Artillery, Battery L. (Milford, Ohio : Little Miami Pub. Co., c2003), FHL book 977.1 M2mj
- United States. Army. Ohio Artillery Regiment, 1st (1861-1865), Battery D. A military record of Battery D, First Ohio Veteran Volunteers Light Artillery. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988), FHL film 1688761 Item 6 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL Fiche 6118099
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010.