1st Regiment, Ohio Heavy Artillery
The 1st Regiment, Ohio Heavy Artillery mustered in September 15, 1862 at Portsmouth, Ohio, as the 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. It mustered out July 25, 1865 at Department of the Cumberland.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Heavy Artillery, (accessed 23 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
County listing from Steve Ward's Buckeyes All, Part I Revised, is shown on Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War site, 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Miller, H. C. (Hillborn C.).First Ohio heavy artillery history : our service in East Tennessee, 1864-1865. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) FHL Film 1688761 Item 3 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118469 he also wroteHistory of the First Ohio Heavy Artillery. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) FHL Film 1688761 Item 8
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).