1st Regiment, Richmond Howitzers, Virginia Artillery (Confederate)
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 12:57, 30 March 2012 by Cottrells (Text replace - "=== Reference ===" to "=== References ===")
This Unit was organized at Richmond on November 9, 1859. It enlisted on April 21, 1861, and reorganized in May 1862. They were captured as part of Walker's column on April 8, 1865.
- The Men and their Stories - biography of men in unit. Also contains a history of the unit.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in Virginia in the Civil War and United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Virginia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Virginia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia. New York, NY: Facts on File, 1992- 1995. (Family History Library book 975 M2ss, Ten Volumes.) This gives organization information for each unit and its field officers, assignments, and battles. It also lists sources further reading. Volume 5 is for Virginia.
- Tinsley, Henry C. Observations of a Retired Veteran. Staunton, Va.: Albert Schultz, 1904. Digital versions at Internet Archive; Project Gutenberg; FHL Fiche 6082760 (2 fiche).
- Wallace, Lee A. A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations, 1861-1865. Lynchburg, Virginia: H. E. Howard, 1986. (Family History Library book 975.5 M2vr, Volume 29.) This gives brief historical sketches of each regiment and lists officers, company names, and commanders.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).