20th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 20th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Joliet, Illinois, and mustered in June 13, 1861. It mustered out July 16 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, July 24, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - many men from
- Company B - many men from
- Company C - many men from
- Company D - many men from
- Company E - many men from
- Company F - many men from
- Company G - many men from
- Company H - many men from
- Company I - many men from
- Company K - many men from
- Unassigned Recruits -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 20th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).