20th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 20th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Joliet, Illinois, and mustered in June 13, 1861. It mustered out July 16 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, July 24, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Champaign County - Champaign County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 151-152.
- New Company A - many men from Will County - Will County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 153-154.
- Company B - many men from Will County - Will County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 154-157.
- Company C - many men from McLean County - McLean County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 157-160.
- Company D - many men from Livingston County - Livingston County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 160-162.
- Company E - many men from DeWitt County - DeWitt County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 162-165.
- Company F - many men from Will County - Will County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 165-168.
- Company G - many men from Kankakee County - Kankakee County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 168-171.
- Company H - many men from LaSalle County and Putnam County - LaSalle and Putnam county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 171-174.
- Company I - many men from Iroquois County - Iroquois County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 174-177.
- Company K - many men from Kendall County and Will County - Kendall and Will county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 177-180.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, page 180.
- Unassigned, Drafted and Substitue Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, pages 180-181.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- 20th Regiment on Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).