23rd Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 23rd Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in June 11, 1861 at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio. Individual companies were mustered in at Camp Jackson, Ohio. They were mustered out July 26, 1865 at Cumberland, Maryland. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 23rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 August 2012).
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 23rd Ohio Infantry
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - see Roster.
Company B - see Roster.
Company C - see Roster.
Company D - see Roster.
Company E - see Roster.
Company F - see Roster.
Company G - see Roster.
Company H - see Roster.
Company I - see Roster.
Company K - see Roster.
Men from Natchez on the Hill, Licking County were distributed throughout the regiment.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States. Army.Ohio Infantry Regiment, 23rd (1861-1865) Roster of the surviving members of the Twenty-third Regiment, Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) FHL Film 1688765 Item 6 and FHL Film 1688765 item 8
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).