24th Regiment, South Carolina Infantry
24th Infantry Regiment was organized during the winter of 1861-1862 with men from Charleston and the counties of Marion and Edgefield. In May, 1863, moved to Mississippi. Assigned to General Gist's Brigade, it was engaged at Jackson, then joined the Army of Tennessee. Few surrendered on April 26, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - (also known as Marion Rifles) Many men from Charleston District ( Charleston County) Captain Christian B. Sigwald; Captain John H. Steinmeyer
- Company B - (also known as Pee Dee Rifles) Many men from Marlboro District (Marlboro County). Captain J.Edwin Spears; Captain R. Johnson; Captain C.D. Easterling
- Company C - Many men from Colleton District. Captain Morgan T. Appleby; Captain Wm. C. Griffith
- Company D - (also known as The Evans Guard) Many men from Beaufort District (now Hampton County) Captain William C. Gooding; Captain A.B. Addison; Captain Abram E. Bowers
- Company E - (also know as The Colleton Guards or Captain Jone's Company. Later Captain risher's Company) Many men from Colleton District (County) Captain Jesse S. Jones; Captain J.K. Risher
- Company F- (also known as Captain D.F. Hill Company) Many men from Anderson District (County) and Abbleville District (County)
- Company G - (also known as Captain John H. Pearson's Company) Many men from Richland District (County)
- Company H - (also known as Captain J.A. Thomas's Company) Many men from Chester District ( Chester County) - Roster, (accessed 5 Apr 2011). Source:"Enlisted for the War - The Struggles of the Gallant 24th South Carolina" by Eugene Jones pub. Longstreet House, Highstown NJ, 1997.
- Company I - (also known as Edgefield Light Infantry or Captain Andrew J. Hammond's Company) Many men from Edgefield District (County) Captain Lafayette B. Wever; Captain James A. Tillman
- Company K - (also known as Captain Samuel.S. Tompkins's Company) Many men from Edgefield District (County)
Regiment organized in January 1862 by combining 16th Regiment South Carolina Militia, Colonel C.H. Stevens, and 1st Rifles, South Carolina Militia, Lieutenant Colonel Ellison Capers; initially composed of six companies:
- Charleston; Captain C.B. Sigwald
- Colleton; Captain W.T. Appleby
- Colleton; Captain J.S. Jones
- Beaufort; Captain W.J. Gooding
- Marlboro; Captain J.E. Spears
- Anderson; Captain D.F. Hill
Four additional companies added:
- Richland; Captain Hammond
- Richland; Captain Pearson
- Chester; Captain Thomas
- Edgefield; Captain Tompkins .
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Jones, Eugene W. Enlisted for the War : The Struggles of the Gallant 24th Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, Infantry, 1861-1865 (Hightstown, NJ : Longstreet House, 1997), 497 pages. Book available at WorldCat Libraries.