Difference between revisions of "24th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)"
(added basic template)
m (moved 24th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry to 24th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate): to distinguish from Union)
Revision as of 00:07, 29 April 2011
- Organized in June 1864, by consolidating eight companies of the 42nd Virginia Cavalry and two companies of Dearing's Confederate Cavalry.
- This unit served in General Gary's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia, and fought in various conflicts around Richmond.
- Later it was involved in the Appomattox Campaign and surrendered with 19 officers and 144 men.
- Commanders were Colonel William T. Robins, Lieutenant Colonel Theodore G. Barham, and Major John R. Robertson.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Field & Staff
- Company A
- Company B
- Company C
- Company D
- Company E
- Company F
- Company G
- Company H
- Company I
- Company K
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).