25th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 25th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at St. Louis, Missouri, and mustered in August 4, 1861. It mustered out at Camp Butler, Illinois, September 5, 1864..
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Edgar County - Edgar County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 329-331.
- Company B - many men from Vermilion County - Vermilion County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 331-333.
- Company C - many men from Champaign County - Champaign County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 333-335.
- Company D - many men from Hancock County - Hancock County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 335-337.
- Company E - many men from Coles County - Coles County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 338-339.
- Company F - many men from Iroquois County - Iroquois County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 339-341.
- Company G - many men from Champaign County and Iroquois County - Champaign and Iroquois county web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 341-343.
- Company H - many men from Douglas County - Douglas County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 343-345.
- New Company H - Assorted counties - Roster, vol. 2, pages 345-346.
- Company I - many men from Champaign County - Champaign County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 347-349.
- Company K - many men from Champaign County - Champaign County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 349-350.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, page 351.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- 25th Illinois Infantry Regiment, Three Year Service, August 4, 1861 - September 5, 1864, web site, has histories and company rosters. (accessed 17 August 2011).
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 25th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).