25th Regiment, South Carolina Infantry (Eutaw Regiment)
25th Infantry Regiment [also called Eutaw Regiment] was organized and mustered into Confederate service in July, 1862. It was formed with men of the 11th Battalion who were from Charleston and the middle region of the state. It served in the Charleston area assigned to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and in September, 1863, it was placed in General Hagood's Brigade. All the men present at Fort Fisher were captured, and the few who later served in the regiment surrendered in April, 1865  .
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
A Company - (also known as A Company Washington Light Infantry) many men from Charleston District (County): Captain James M. Carson
B Company - (also known as Washington Light Infantry) many men from Charleston District (County): Captain Edward H. Lloyd; Captain Joseph S. Hannahan
C Company - (also known as B Company Wee Nee Volunteers): Captain John G. Pressley; Captain Thomas J. China; Captain Calhoun Logan
D Company - (also known as Marion Light Infantry): Captain William Jasper McKerrall; Captain N.B. Nazyck
E Company - (also known as Beauregard Light Infantry) many men from Charleston District (County): Captain Robert D. White; Captain Nat B. Mazyck; Captain W.J. Mckerall
F Company - (also known as Dantzler Rifles and St. Matthews Rifles): Captain M. Henry Sellers; Captain Leonidas A. Harper
G Company - (also known as Edisto Rifles) many men from Orangeburg District (County): Captain John V. Glover; Captain James Ferdinand Izler
H Company - (also known as Yeadon Light Infantry) many men from Charleston District (County): Captain Samuel LeRoy Hammond; Captain William H. Bartless
I Company (also known as Clarendon Guard): Captain T.N. Butler; Captain J.C. Burgess; Captain John J. Logan
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Izlar, William V. A sketch of the war record of the Edisto Rifles, 1861-1865 : Company A, 1st Regiment, S. C. V. Infantry, Colonel Johnson Hagood, provisional Army of the Confederate states, 1861-1862; Company G, 25th Regiment, S. C. V. Infantry, Colonel Charles H. Simonton, Confederate states army, 1862-1865. (Camden, South Carolina : J.J. Fox, 1990). FHL Collection, FHL book 975.7 M2iw, FHL fiche 6082623 (3 fiche).
- Hampton, Wade; Porter, Anthony T.; Simonton, Charles H.; Confederate States of America. Army. Washington Light Infantry Regiment, 25th. Public ceremonies in connection with the war memorials of the Washington Light Infantry : with the orations of Gen. Wade Hampton, Hon. C. H. Simonton, Dr. A. Toomer Porter, with the rolls, monumental inscriptions, &c., &c. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990). Includes a description of activities of the 25th South Carolina Infantry Regiment (Confederate) in some of their battles. Available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082651.
- Confederate States of America. Army. Washington Light Infantry Regiment, 25th (Main Author). Rolls of the Washington Light Infantry in Confederate Service : to Which is Appended the Mortuary of the Three Companies ( Charleston, S.C. : W.L.I. Veterans, 1888), 17 pages. Includes roster on pages 5-12.Contains rolls of the following three companies: Company A, Hampton Legion Infantry; Company A, Washington Light Infantry Regiment, 25th; and Company B, Washington Light Infantry Regiment, 25th. Microfiche copy at FHL 6082652 and Microform copy at Other Libraries.