26th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)
- Formed in December 1864, by consolidating the 46th and 47th Battalions Virginia Cavalry.
- The unit served in W. L. Jackson's Brigade and was active in various conflicts in the Shenandoah Valley.
- Disbanded during the spring of 1865.
- Lieutenant Colonel Joseph K. Kesler and Major Henry D. Ruffner were in command.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed December 2010).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed December 2010).