26th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
The 26th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and it was mustered in September 17,1862. It was mustered out June 17, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 26th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 21 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 26th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 21 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following company links are to rosters taken from Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - Roster page 313.
Company B - Roster page 316.
Company C - Roster page 318.
Company D - Roster page 321.
Company E - Roster page 323.
Company F - Roster page 326.
Company G - Roster page 329.
Company H - Roster page 331.
Company I - Roster page 334.
Company K - Roster page 336.
Unassigned Recruits - Roster page 339.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Wisconsin in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Wisconsin in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Wisconsin, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Hetzel, Bev. Wisconsin Civil War casualties, 26th regiment. (West Bend, Wisconsin : B. Hetzel, [1999?]) FHL Book 977.5 M2hbv and 12th Civil War regiment reunion held in West Bend, Wisconsin, on August 29 and 30, 1911. (West Bend, Wisconsin : B. Hetzel, [200-?]) FHL Book 977.5 M2hbt available digitally on line
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Wisconsin. Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865 Volume II. (Madison: Democrat Printing Co., State Printers, 1886)