29th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 29th regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in August 19, 1861. They had duty at Millican, Hempstead, Brenham and Beaumont, on Texas Central R. R. until November and Mustered out November 6 and discharged from service November 28, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Harden County - Harden County web site -
- Company B - many men from Alexander, Harden and White counties - Alexander, Harden and White county web sites -
- Company C - many men from Gallatin County - Gallatin County web site -
- Company D - many men from Gallatin, Sangamon and White counties - Gallatin, Sangamon and White county web sites -
- Company E - many men from Saline and Williamson counties - Saline and Williamson county web sites -
- Company F - many men from Pope County - Pope County web site -
- Company G - many men from White and Gallatin counties - White and Gallatin county web sites -
- Company H - many men from Edgar and Massac counties - Edgar and Massac county web sites -
- Company I - many men from Sangamon County - Sangamon County web site -
- Company K - many men from Massac County - Massac County web site -
- Unassigned Recruits -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 29th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).