29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Organized at Laporte, Indiana, and mustered in August 27, 1861.
Garrison duty at Marietta and Dalton, Georgia, till December. Mustered out December 2, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Officer with Staff - see Roster
Company A - many men from Steuben and Greene Counties - see Roster on page 655
Company B - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 658
Company C - many men from La Porte County - see Roster on page 661
Company D - many men from Fulton and Knox Counties - see Roster on page 663
Company E - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 665
Company F - many men from St. Joseph County - see Roster on page 668
Company G - many men from La Porte and St. Joseph Counties - see Roster on page 671
Company H - many men from Fulton and Miami and St. Joseph Counties - see Roster on page 672
Company I - many men from Marshall and Porter Counties - see Roster on page 675
Company K - many men from St. Joseph and Marshall Counties - see Roster on page 677
Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 541
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 29th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on the CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 18 Jan 2011)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Martin, Hiram H., "Service Afield and Afloat: A Reminiscence of the Civil War", (ed. Guy R. Everson, Indiana Magazine of History 89, no. 1 (March 1993): 35-56). 1861-1864, LaPorte County (LaPorte), 29th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. G Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 11 Apr 2011)
- O'Connor, Cathy L., and Timothy Edward Howard. Every Name Index to A History of St. Joseph County, Indiana, Volumes One & Two, by Timothy Edward Howard, (1907. Edwardsburg, Mich: Cathy L. O'Connor, 2007.) FHL US/CAN Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2 FHL 1550208 other libraries Google books (accessed 11 Apr 2011)
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).