2nd Regiment, New York Mounted Rifles
The 2nd Regiment, New York Mounted Rifles was mustered in by companies and mustered out August 10 1865..
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - principally recruited at Lockport, Niagara County; Buffalo, Erie County; Batavia, Genesee County.
Company B - principally recruited at Caneadea, Centerville, Hume, Allegany County; Farmersville, Cattaraugus County; Eagle, Wyoming County; Rushford, Allegany County; Lorkport, Niagara County;
Company C - principally recruited at Lockport, Niagara, Royalton, Cambria, Niagra County; Attica, Warsaw, Wyoming County; and Tonawanda, Erie County;
Company D - principally recruited at Buffalo, Collins, Tonawanda, Clarence all of Eric County
Company E - principally recruited at Buffalo, Erie County; Carlton, of Orleans County; Carlton, Wilson, Cambria of Niagra County;
Company F - Lockport, Niagra County; Arcadia, Lyons, Palmyra, of Wayne County;
Company G - Thompson, Monticello, Bethel, Callicoon, Liberty all of Sullivan County;
Company H - Buffalo, Amherst, Lewiston, Niagra County; New Hudson, Allegany County; Grand Island, Colden, Amherst, of Erie County;
Company K - Buffalo, Grand Island, Amherst, of Erie County; Warsaw, Orangeville of Wyoming County;
Company L - Java, Wyoming County; Barre, Carlton, Gaines, Kendall, Ridgeway and Shelby of Orleans County;
Company M - Buffalo, Erie County; Batavia, Danube Orleans County; Attica, Wyoming County; Little Falls, Mannheim, of Herkimer County; Middlefield, Otsego County; Jordan, Onondaya County, and Prattsburgh, Green County;
1. Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/
2. New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/.htm citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
3. Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY.php
5. The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).