2nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
2nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry was assembled at Garysburg, North Carolina, in May, 1861. It surrendered only 6 officers and 48 men.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
1st Company A - "Rifle Rengers" principally from New Hanover County
2nd Company A - principally from Surry County
Company B - principally from Wilson County
1st Company C - "Topsail Rifles" - principally from Carteret County
2nd Company C -"Rip Van Winkles" - principally from Wayne County
Company D - principally from Wayne County
1st Company E - principally from Nash County
2nd Company E - "Guilford Guards principally from Guilford County
Company F - principally from Craven County
Company G - "Jones Rifle Guards" principally from Jones County
Company H - principally from Wayne County
Company I - "Beaufort Rifles" principally from Craven County
Company K - "Elm City Rifles" principally from Craven County
The informatiprincipally from on about the companies comes from A Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865
Information about the companies and their rosters are in Manarin and Jordan, North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- John Wheeler Moore. Roster of North Carolina Troops in the War between the States. (Raleigh: Ash & Gatling, State printers, 1882). Internet Archive
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- A Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865, (accessed 24 MArch 2011)
- Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth T. Jordan. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 3. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1966. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol. 2