33rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 33rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 3, 1861. It mustered out November 24 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, December 6, 1865. Organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 3, 1861. Mustered out November 24 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, December 6, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 33rd Regiment, Illinois see the following:
- Wikipedia (accessed 26 July 2011) An article and links for the 33rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive (accessed 26 July 2011) Brief history of the 33rd Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company C - many men from McLean and Cook counties - McLean and Cook county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 621-624.
- Company D - many men from Christian and Sangamon counties - Christian and Sangamon county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 624-628.
- Company E - many men from Bureau and Knox counties - Bureau and Knox county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 628-631.
- Company F - many men from Morgan and Scott counties - Morgan and Scott county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 632-635.
- Company K (Bateman Rifles) - many men from Cass and Morgan counties - Cass and Morgan county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 645-649.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, pages 649-650.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 33rd Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- Burnham, J. H. The Thirty-Third Regiment Illinois Infantry in the Civil War, 1861-1865. (Springfield? Ill: Illinois Historical Society, 1912).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084225. Other libraries with this book.
- Way, Virgil Gilman, and Isaac H. Elliott. History of the Thirty-Third Regiment Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, 22nd August, 1861, to 7th December, 1865. (Gibson City, Ill: The [Regimental] association, 1902). FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M25w. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.
- National Park Service,Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System,(accessed 10 May 2011).