37th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Dunn's Battalion, Partisan Rangers) (Confederate)
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 21:26, 2 January 2011 by Randlepandle (Created page with '=== Brief History === *Organized in August 1862, as Dunn's Partisan Rangers. *The battalion contained four companies and in November was changed to regular cavalry. *It was as…')
- Organized in August 1862, as Dunn's Partisan Rangers.
- The battalion contained four companies and in November was changed to regular cavalry.
- It was assigned to W. E. Jones', McCausland's and W. L. Jackson's Brigade. During April, 1864, it totaled 300 effectives and by June had increased its strength to ten companies.
- It was involved in various operations in western Virginia and East Tennessee, then saw action in the Shenandoah Valley.
- The unit disbanded in mid-April, 1865.
- Lieutenant Colonel Ambrose C. Dunn and Major J. R. Claiborne were in command.
- Field & Staff
- Company A
- Company B
- Company C
- Company D
- Company E
- Company F
- Company G
- Company H
- Company I
- Company K