3rd Regiment, South Carolina State Troops (6 months 1863-64)
United States U.S. Military South Carolina South Carolina Military South Carolina in the Civil War South Carolina Civil War Confederate Units 1st through 4th 3rd Regiment, South Carolina State Troops (6 months 1863-64)
The 3rd Regiment South Carolina State Troops was mustered into Confederate States service for six months from August 1, 1863 for local defense and State Service. Companies F to K, being below the minimum strength, were disbanded December 27, 1863.
Eastern Digital Resources Internet site states the following:
- There were evidently two regiments formed known as the 3rd Infantry Regiment, State Troops. The first regiment was organized for six months in state service to date from August 1, 1863. One company mustered out on January 31, 1864 and the other disbanded on February 1, 1864.
- The other unit was made up mostly of boys around the age of 16. Most of the officers were older men. This unit may have also been a part of the 3rd SC State Troops organized for protection of Florence. The existence of Company I below, indicates that at least 9 companies were formed. This unit was formed in September of 1864 and served until the end of the war.
Joseph H. Crute, Jr.'s book, "Units of the Confederate States Army", contains no history for this unit. This regiment most likely transferred into another regiment or was combined with another regiment to create a new regiment, or is another name for an existing regiment. Looking at the service records of the soldiers may give clues to the different regiments they may have served in.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Counties the men may have come from: Chesterfield, Darlington, Horry, Marion, Sumter, Clarendon, Marlboro, Williamsburg, Richland, and Georgetown.
- Company I - Roster
Another Internet site lists the following rosters and counties (some rosters have only a few names):
- Company A - Union District - Roster
- Company B - Fairfield District - Roster
- Company C - York District - Roster
- Company D - York District - Roster
- Company E - Chester District - Roster
- Company F - Roster
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- "3rd Regiment State Troops (Infantry)". The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/02/2010. Lists a brief Regiment History and Company Rosters.
- "Third (3rd) Battalion South Carolina State Troops-Senior Reserves", Internet site, accessed 12/02/2010. Lists the rosters with a few names.
- "South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units in the War of the Rebellion". Internet site, accessed 12/06/2010. Lists some of the Troop and Reserve units, a few companies, officers and some dates of service. Counties listed come from this reference.
- "History of Company I, 3rd Regiment S. C. Troops" by John Q. Cousart. The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/02/2010.
- The following Company may or may not be a part of this regiment: "3rd Battalion of State Troops-Senior Reserves-Company D-York County". Internet site, accessed 12/02/2010. This site has a roster of officers and soldiers. It appears many also served in the 5th South Carolina Infantry Regiment or State Troops.
- "3rd South Carolina State Troops - Jun 1862-Jan 1863". Internet site, accessed 12/06/2010. Gives the roster for Company A. The Soldiers and Sailors system lists men from this page as being a part of the 3rd Regiment, South Carolina Reserves (90 day 1862-63).
- "South Carolina Infantry Regiments". Internet site, accessed 12/07/2010. Gives a roster for Company I and a history as stated above by John Q. Cousart.