4th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
Organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in September 30, 1861.
Mustered out August 1, 1865 at Indianapolis, Indiana. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Fourth Battery - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 705-709
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 709
The Battery with their counties and their rosters are on the 4th Indiana Light Battery, on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 05 Feb 2011 2011)
- Fourth Battery - many men from Jasper Country 
- Fourth Battery - many men from Whitley County 
- Fourth Battery - many men from La Porte County 
- Fourth Battery - many men from Porter County 
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 28 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 4th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery.
- Wikipedia (accessed 28 Dec 2010) Article on the 4th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 28 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- National Park Service,  The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System] (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Military History of Jasper Counity" in F.A. Battey &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Co. Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Co, 2008.) also (Digital images of original published: Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1994. viii, 810 p.: ill., ports.; 28 cm. The original is a reprint. It was originally published: Chicago: F.A. Battey, 1883.) page 485-507, FHL Collection Family History Archives other libraryInternet Archive
- "War History" Chapter 4 in Goodspeed, Weston Arthur, and Charles Blanchard. 1970.Counties of Whitley and Noble, Indiana: historical and biographical, illustrated. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic, inc.) (page 85, Regiment ),977.27 H2g FHL US/CAN Book FHL COLLECTION other library INTERNET ARCHIVE Family History Archives
- "Military Record" Chapter 25 in Packard, Jasper. 1976. History of LaPorte County, Indiana, and its townships, towns and cities. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic.),(page 384-386; Regiment,Companies, Name's)977.291 H2p FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries;Family History Archives
- "Military History", Chapter 6 in Lewis Publishing Company. cn. 1911. History of Porter County, Indiana;: a narrative account of its historical progress, its people and its principal interests 977.298 H2h FHL US/CAN Book; FHL Collection(page 114; Regiment, Company) INTERNET ARCHIVE