4th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry
The 4th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry was organized at Ottawa, Illinois, and mustered in September 26, 1861. It was consolidated with 14th Illinois Cavalry June 14, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A (Also jnown as Grant's Escort) - many men from Cook County and LaSalle County - Cook and LaSalle county web sites -
- Company B - many men from Cook County and LaSalle County (Also known as Carrnichael's Cavalry Company) - Cook and LaSalle county web sites -
- Company C (Also known as Dollins' Cavalry Company) - many men from Kendall County - Kendall County web site -
- Company D (Also known as Quinby's Escort) - many men from Will County and Ogle County - Will and Ogle county web sites -
- Company G - many men from McLean County and Woodford County - McLean and Woodford county web sites -
- 4th Illinois Cavalry Regiment has histories and company rosters.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 4th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).