4th Regiment, South Carolina Cavalry (Militia)
United States U.S. Military South Carolina South Carolina Military South Carolina in the Civil War South Carolina Civil War Confederate Units 1st through 4th South Carolina Militia 4th Regiment, South Carolina (Militia)
Joseph H. Crute, Jr.'s book, "Units of the Confederate States Army", contains no history for this unit. This regiment most likely transferred into another regiment or was combined with another regiment to create a new regiment, or is another name for an existing regiment. Looking at the service records of the soldiers may give clues to the different regiments they may have served in.
The South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units site listed in the sources states that this unit was debanded 7 November 1862.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘South Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- South Carolina in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for South Carolina, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- "South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units in the War of the Rebellion". Internet site, accessed 12/06/2010. Lists some of the Troop and Reserve units, a few companies, officers and some dates of service.