4th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)
The 4th Regiment was formed in February 1776 at Suffolk Courthouse. Companies recruited men from Berkeley, Charlotte, Prince Edward, Sussex, Southampton, Nansemond, Brunswick, Isle of Wight, Surry, Princess Anne, and Norfolk Boro Counties. Field officers at Valley Forge were Colonel Isaac Read, Lt. Colonel Thomas Gaskins, Lt. Colonel William Taliaferro, Major Isaac Beall, and Major John Brent.
- Company - Captain John Stith
- Company - Captain Jason Reddick
- Company - Captain James Lucas
- Company - Captain William Cherry
- Company - Captain John Holcombe
- Company - Captain Thomas Ridley
- Company - Captain Arthur Smith
- Company - Captain George Walls
- Company - Captain John Grogan
- Company - Captain Jonathan Clark
- The information above is from 4th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-10
- Lieutenant Joseph Holt of Albemarle County
- "4th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va4.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 367-368.