5th Battalion, South Carolina Reserves (Brown's)
United States U.S. Military South Carolina South Carolina Military South Carolina in the Civil War South Carolina Civil War Confederate Units 5th through 14th 5th Battalion, South Carolina Reserves (Brown's)
In February 1864 a new law passed that stated all males between ages 17-50 were liable to serve within their state. Those that were 18-45 years old and already serving were to stay in their current military unit. Those men not serving, or under 18 and over 45, were required to either join an existing local defense unit or to form a new unit. Eight battalions were created and designated as the 1st- 8th Battalions, South Carolina Reserves. Later these units were referred to as the Battalions of Senior Reserves in order to separate them from the Regiments of Junior Reserves. By the summer of 1864, these units were organized and many of them serving in different areas. They were mustered into Confederate service on October 31, 1864. Some of the units disbanded before the end of the war and others were combined with other military units on April 9, 1865.
The 5th Battalion, South Carolina Reserves also known as Brown's Battalion was organized in the summer of 1864. It was mustered in on October 31, 1864 and surrendered April 26, 1865 at Durham Station, North Carolina.
Companies in this Battalion with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Source Material
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army as their main source for the regiment history.FHL book 973 M2crua, WorldCat. Crute's book does not contain a history for this unit.
- Fifth (5th) Battalion South Carolina State Troops Senior Reserves. Bil Brasington Internet site, accessed 12/17/2010. Lists Companies, counties, rosters and dates. Another roster listing.
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina. Microfilm publication M267. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1958. These records have been indexed and digitized and are available at Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls). (Accessed December 2010)
- "South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units in the War of the Rebellion". Internet site, accessed 12/17/2010. Lists some of the Troop and Reserve units, a few companies, officers and some dates of service. This site lists Company B coming from Lancester County.
- "SC 5th Infantry (Browns) Battalion Reserves". The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/16/2010. Gives some references for this military unit.
- "5th South Carolina Reserve Battalion". South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson’s Internet site, accessed 12/16/2010. This website lists officers of the regiment and battles the regiment was involved in and dates of organization.
- Hewett, Janet B., ed. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Wilmington, North Carolina: Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001. FHL book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 64 & 65. Lists officers, companies, some nicknames for the companies and dates involving the company and places where they were stationed. There are 6 Companies (A-F) listed.
- Seigler, Robert S. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. This book has an overview about the creation of the military units for service during the Civil War. There are four volumes which are divided into areas of the State. There is information about the different military units including dates of organization and service, company officers, battle engagements, company names and places of origin, and a few pictures. This book is also available through other libraries.
- Robert S. Seigler. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. (Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008.), v. 4, p 193-194, 203-204. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. The book goes into greater detail about the companies and the different military units they served in. Also the book may give more information about the different units this Battalion served with.
- Fifth (5th) Battalion South Carolina State Troops Senior Reserves. Bil Brasington Internet site, accessed 12/17/2010. Lists Companies, counties, rosters and dates.