Difference between revisions of "5th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry"
|Line 45:||Line 45:|
Revision as of 20:51, 20 September 2011
The 5th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, August 31 to December 30, 1861. It was mustered out October 27, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company F - many men from Crawford County and Richland County - Crawford and Richland county web sites -
- Company H - many men from Washington County and St. Clair County - Washington and St. Clair county web sites -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 5th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Genealogy Trails History Group. Muster Roll of the 5th Illinois Calvalry, Company A. Includes residences (accessed 2 Jun 2011).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 10 May 2011).