5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
5th Cavalry Regiment was assembled at Columbus, Mississippi during the summer of 1863. Many of the men had seen prior service in various state commands, and some were from Panola and Kemper counties. It was assigned to Chalmers', W.F. Slemons', R. McCulloch's, Mabrey's, and W. Adams' Brigade. Companies C, D, E, H, and K were captured at Selma in April, 1865, and the remaining companies were included in the surrender of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. Its commanders were Colonel James Z. George; Lieutenant Colonels James A. Barksdale, P.H. Echols, W.M. Reed, and Nathaniel Wickliffe; and Majors W.G. Henderson and William B. Perry.
- Associated unit:
19th (George's) Cavalry Battalion, organized during the late summer of 1863. Disbanded early in 1864. Some of its members joined the 5th Mississippi Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel James Z. George was its commander.
- The 5th Mississippi Cavalry (formerly 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry [George’s)] Internet site has a longer history taken from Dunbar Rowland's Military History of Mississippi, 1803-1898.
- A similar history can be found on the 5th Regiment Mississippi Cavalry Internet site of the Attala County, Mississippi USGenWeb page. It also has a link to all company rosters.
Regiment Companies with the County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Rosters arranged by company can be found on the 5th Regiment Mississippi Cavalry Company Rosters Internet site. In addition to those shown below, there are links to rosters for Company Unknown and Company F&S (Headquarters Staff)
Company A - Mississippi Rangers (raised in Carroll County) see Roster
Company B - Trotter’s Company (raised in Carroll County) seeRoster
Company C - Curtis’ Company (raised in Carroll County) see Roster
Company D - Scales’ Company (raised in Carroll County) see Roster
Company E - Love’s Company (raised in Attala County) see Roster
Company F - Povall’s Company (raised in Madison County) see Roster
Company G - Allen’s Company (raised in Lauderdale County) see Roster
Company H - Hill’s Company (raised in Panola County) see Roster
Company I - Turner’s Company (raised in Attala County) see Roster
Company K - Ward’s Company (raised in DeSoto County) see Roster
Company L - Saunders’ (county of origin not specified) see Roster
Company Unknown - see Roster
Company F&S (Headquarters Staff) see Roster
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Rowland, Dunbar, Military History of Mississippi, 1803-1898: taken from the Official and statistical register of the State of Mississippi, 1908 (Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Company).
- Howell, H. Grady, For Dixie Land, I’ll Take My Stand!: A Muster Listing of All Known Mississippi Confederate Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines (Chickasaw Bayou Press, 1998).