5th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
5th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry was organized at Halifax, North Carolina, in July,1861.It Surrendered with the Army of Northern Virginia 9 April 1865. On 12 April 1865, 81 members of the 5th Regiment North Carolina State Troops were paroled.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - many men from Cumberland County
Company B - many men from Gates County
Company C - many men from Johnston County
Company D - many men from Craven County and Lenoir County
Company E - many men from Rowan County
Company F - many men from Bertie County
Company G - many men from Wilson County
Company H - many men from Gates County
Company I - many men from Caswel County
Company K - many men from Rowan County
The information about the companies comes from A Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865
Information about the companies and their rosters are in Manarin and Jordan, North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- John Wheeler Moore. Roster of North Carolina Troops in the War between the States, volume 1. (Raleigh: Ash & Gatling, State printers, 1882). Internet Archive.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865, (accessed 23 March 2011)
- Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth T. Jordan. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 3. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1966. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol. 4