5th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)
The 5th Virginia Regiment was formed in February 1776 at Richmond County Courthouse. Companies recruited men from Lancaster, Richmond, Northumberland, Spotsylvania, Westmoreland, Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, Bedford and Loudoun counties. Staff officers at Valley Forge were Colonel Josiah Parker, Lt. Colonel Abraham Buford, Major Thomas Gaskins, and Major David Stephenson.
- 1776-1776 - Colonel William Peach in command from 13 Feb 1776 to 7 May 1776
- 1776-1777 - Colonel Charles Scott in command from 7 May 1776 to 1 Apr 1777
- 1777-1778 - Colonel Josiah Parker in command from 1 Apr 1777 to 12 Jul 1778
- 1778-1783 - Colonel William Russell in command from 14 Sep 1778 to close of war
- Company - Captain Henry Fauntleroy
- Company - Captain William Fowler
- Company - Captain William Mosby
- Company - Captain Andrew Russell
- Company - Captain Samuel Colston
- Company - Captain Gross Scruggs
- Company - Captain Ralph Falkner
- Company - Captain John Anderson
- The information above is from 5th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-8
- Captain Burgess Ball of Lancaster County, later Lt. Col. of 1st Virginia Infantry
- Captain Custes Kendall
- Captain Peter Minor of Albemarle County
- Captain Robert Woodson
- Captain Henry Young
- Lieutenant Lipscomb Norvell of Albemarle County
- Lieutenant Robert Breckinridge of Augusta County, was imprisoned at Charleston, S.C.
- "5th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va5.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- F.B. Heitman, Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution, April, 1775, to December, 1783 (Washington, D.C.: W.H. Lowdermilk and Co., 1893), 51, 477-478. Digitized by Internet Archive. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "heitman2" defined multiple times with different content
- "A Guide to the Ball Family Papers, 1650-1864," Library of Virginia, Accession No. 18770A, http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaxtf/view?docId=lva/vi01103.xml;query=;brand=default, accessed 23 January 2012.
- Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 367-368.
- Joseph A. Waddell, Annals of Augusta County, Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Wm. Ellis Jones, Book and Job Printer, 1886), 178.