6th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
The 6th Regiment Connecticut Infantry was organized at New Haven, Connecticut and muster in the 12th of September, 1861. This regiment was mustered out of service August 21, 1865 in New Haven, Connecticut.
For more information on the 6th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - The old Sixth regiment, its war record, 1861-5 by Charles K Cadwell New Haven: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, printers, 1875 - Online Book
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut.
Company A - Letters Home from the Civil War - The Civil War Archive
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864. Compiled From Records in the Adjutant General's Office and Published by Order of the Legislature, by Horace J. Morse - Adjutant General - Online Book. Or FHL Collection on FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082886 (9 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a .
- Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries (1869) by Connecticut. Adjutant-General's Office; Ingersoll, Colin M. (Colin Macrae), 1819-1904 - Online. Or FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887 (10 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- The Civil War in the East - Timeline of the 6th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- Connecticut Civil War Grave Sites - 6th Connecticut Infantry - Interment.net Cemetery Records online
- 6th Connecticut Regiment Graves - Roster by Name and Company Roster
- The Stamford Historical Society, Inc. - History and Roster