6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry
The 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry was organized at Camp Release and Fort Snelling, Minnesota on September 29 to November 20, 1862. It mustered out on August 19, 1865 at St. Paul, Minnesota.
For more information about this regiment see the following:
- Wikipedia article on the 6th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archives. A brief history of the 6th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Rootsweb. 6th Regiment history and a roster of the men from Wabasha county.
- The Civil War Index. Website with detailed Minnesota regimental histories.
- Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History, Kenneth Carley, Richard Moe (Minnesota Historical Society Press, 2000). Book of battle histories, photographs, short biographies and a roster of the different regiments with their officers, beginning on page 204. Google book (Not all pages are shown). Other libraries with this book.