6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry was organized at Camp Alamance, near Company Shops (Burlington), North Carolina, in May, 1861. It surrendered with 6 officers and 175 men of which 72 were armed.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - principally from Mecklenburg County
Company B - principally from Orange County
Company C - principally from Orange County
Company D - principally from Burke County
Company E - principally from Burke, McDowell,Mitchell and Yancey Counties
Company F - principally from Alamance County
Company G - principally from Rowan County
Company H - principally from Caswell County
Company I - principally from Wake and Chatham County
Company K - principally from Alamance County
The above information about the companies comes from Sketch of the Sixth Regiment, N. C. State Troops By Neill W. Ray and A Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865
Information about the companies and their rosters are in Manarin and Jordan, North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- John Wheeler Moore. Roster of North Carolina Troops in the War between the States. (Raleigh: Ash & Gatling, State printers, 1882). Internet Archive
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- SKETCH OF THE SIXTH REGIMENT, N. C. STATE TROOPS By Neill W. Ray, (accessed 9 March 2011).
- A Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865, (accessed 5 April 2011)
- Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth T. Jordan. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 3. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1966. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol. 4